Monday, January 17, 2011

The Beginning Journey

I'm inspired!  Inspired to create healthy, delicious meals.  I haven't added it up, quite honestly, I'm afraid to! I'm sure I've thrown out hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars worth of ingredients and left overs in my life time.  Probably just last year could have topped one grand!  I believe the stats are that people throw away, on average, $500 worth of food (ingredients) every year.  I know I'm not alone.  I know you have thrown away the last of the milk because it's expired, or the last three yogurts you were sure you'd eat this week.  Bread that now could be mistaken for blue cheese.  Lettuce that is now so rotten it looks like a bad smoothie sitting on the bottom of your veggie drawer.  Who knows how old that jar of roasted red peppers in the refrigerator door are?  Or the ketchup for that matter.  How about the mayo?  Is it still good?  Smell it, maybe you'll know then!  Well, I took a vow this New Years.  A vow to be accountable.  Accountable to the food!  I'm a foodie, why shouldn't I be accountable to the ingredients I buy every week?  I buy these ingredients to create such deliciousness that my friends and family perform happy dances as they enjoy it.  Or simply, the ingredients I buy to make delicious, healthy meals for me to enjoy every week.  I love dancing with joy over a great dish, and I think the food does to.  The tomato deserves the respect of being eaten.  The roasted lemon chicken deserves the respect of not ending up in the landfill.  So, I start this journey.  
I'm single, so the journey should be simple, right?  Well, I'm finding it much more difficult than I thought.  Planning is key!  Sunday's are my day to plan and shop and cook.  I plan meals for breakfast, lunch and dinners that have common ingredients so they don't go bad.  I'm also keeping a folder on the refrigerator for all my receipts I spend on food.  I'm amazed at how aware it makes me.  How aware I am of exactly how much I'm spending at different grocery stores.  It's invigorating!  Just yesterday I did my shopping for the week, and by planning ahead and by taking note of prices, I saved $24.23 on my grocery bill!  Come on!  Usually you see at the bottom of the receipt a 5 Spot or even 10, but close to 25!  Now I'm proud of myself!  The biggest joy in this journey has surprisingly been the preparation of food.  I'm not taking the easy route and buying pre-made meals, or taking shortcuts by buying an already roasted chicken (although they are really delicious, and I'm sure I will several times this year), I'm buying ingredients to prepare my meals the old fashioned way...Homemade!  I have found that by making my own Pico de gallo, I have so much pride in my food as I enjoy it.  Don't get me wrong, for those of you that know me, I'm not one to buy ready made food anyway, but taking the time to plan and prepare is rewarding.  Chopping up the tomatoes, onion and jalapeno and creating a delicious garnish for my Mexican inspired meals this week brings me joy.  As I topped my omelet this morning with homemade pico de gallo, I smiled.  I knew that  the jalapeno smiled too!  
Join me in my exploration of my kitchen.  My frugal food finds, healthy creations and delicious cravings await!


A lighter side of Potatoes:  Cauliflower Puree


1 Head of Cauliflower
1 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 Tbs. Fat-Free Cottage Cheese
1 Tbs. Fat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt
3-4 dashes of hot sauce (I prefer Tapatio)
Salt and Pepper to taste.


Cut core out of Cauliflower and separate into florets.  Steam Cauliflower florets until fork tender.  Drain water.  Add butter, cottage cheese, yogurt and hot sauce.  Puree with hand blender (or transfer to a blender and puree).  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.  It can be stored in refrigerator for up to 4 days.  Makes 4 to 5 servings

3 comments:

  1. You have no idea how excited I am that I can access your new creations anytime I want now! This is amazing! I just wish you would have started this years ago!! Love it! I can't wait to follow and read all the new blogs! I guess I need to get busy with your recipe organizer =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you gotta follower in me!!! Tell me what to cook and I will make it!! Step by step and make it easy and I will be so happy I might cook naked! LOVE THIS!!

    ReplyDelete